This heritage town water supply, filtration and conservation facility was built between 1838 and 1840 by a convict labour “iron gang”, operating under the command of Major Christie (Liverpool Stockade) and Captain Francis Allman (Campbelltown Policy Magistrate) .
The system includes a water reservoir and a cattle tank. It was the first such system built in the fledgling Australian Colony of NSW and the facilities are believed to be the last convict-built structures in Campbelltown. They are located between Dumaresq Street and Allman Street, Campbelltown.
Despite being Heritage Listed and well worthy of preservation, some of the features are falling into disrepair through neglect and vandalism. The local press has reported on moves to refurbish what remains.
All images © R.Powell